Silent Salespeople: Effective Retail Signage
An effective signage package can not only bring customers into your store, but it can tell them where to find what they are looking for, alert them to bargains, and introduce them to new items. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your retail signage.
1. Outdoor Signage: The first thing potential customers see is the outside of your retail space. Keep your store signs clean and maintained to give customers the best first impression of your business. Their expectations will be based on what they see first.
2. Department Signage: Large departmental signs placed high above the floor lead customers to the area they are looking for. Listing a sampling of products in each department helps take your signage one step further to help customers that are seeking particular items.
3. Directional Signs: Use these signs to direct customers to the restroom location, and to give directions to the registers.
4. Service Signs: Tell customers about special services that are offered by your business, such as white glove delivery or special orders.
5. Color and Readability: The most visible colors for text are black, white, and red on backgrounds that are the opposite. Make sure that letters are large enough for customers to be able to read. We suggest 1 inch for every 10 feet of viewing distance.
6. Maintenance: Make sure to care for signage, as tattered, worn, and unclean signs can drive customers away. Your signs represent your business. Handwritten signs are mostly useful in instances where there is a special for that day only, as they offer a sense of urgency to shoppers.
Use these tips to create the best signage package for your business, and you will drive in new customers and draw more attention to your retail space.